B.Voc in Renewable Energy Technology Skills
B.Voc in Renewable Energy Technology (RET) Skills program offered by School of Electrical Skills aims to impart quality education in the area of renewable energy technologies and energy conservation. With rapid depletion of fossil fuels and our over dependence on import of oil for meeting our energy demands, renewable energy is the key for our future growth and development. India is fortunate in having abundance of renewable energy resources, especially solar. This program aims to produce professionals, who are competent to design, install and maintain any capacity of solar power plant for meeting the domestic, industrial and commercial requirements. India, being at the threshold of massive solar power generation to the tune of 175 GW by 2022 and 275 GW by 2027, B. VoC in RET Skills will ensure a very fulfilling and promising career. The program also prepares the students in every aspect to become competent supervisors for execution of various tasks related with RET in any large company/ organization and also to progressively rise in the organisational hierarchy.
After completion of the program, the students will:
- Be trained to NSQF level 7 in the field of RET, to assess the commercial viability of this technology and business opportunities in existing companies.
Have the knowledge, skills analysis capabilities and judgement necessary to undertake prefeasibility study related to the use of renewable energy systems in different industrial sectors and services.
- Be trained for multiple skill sets under the domain of renewable energy technology skills.
Supplement efforts in bridging the gap between demand and supply of power, with renewable energy sources and strengthening the grid system and evacuation arrangements for RE projects.
- Be able to become successful entrepreneurs thereby becoming providers of jobs rather than seekers.
- Identify the key players in renewable energy sector and able to explore the opportunities to promote renewable energy.
- Identify the main lines of research in the field of technologies for harnessing renewable energy.
- Be able to appear for all competitive exams in any government sector like, UPSC, Defence, Railways, PSUs etc.
- Have the knowledge, skills and capabilities of analysis and judgement necessary to select most appropriate energy system for different types of applications.
- Have the ability to analyse the behaviour of a system in operation and make diagnosis for its quick rectification.
- Know the key players in renewable energy sector and able to identify the opportunities to promote renewable energy.
- Have a holistic approach when working with renewable energy technology projects to present and communicate effectively.
- Acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for undertaking defect rectification and analysing the performance of equipment.
- Understand the role of Renewable Energy in product and service sector, as well as its importance in the energy sector.
- Capable to plan, organize and execute RET projects with the goal of harnessing the clean Renewable Energy sources in the state for environment benefits.
- Have adequate knowledge and skills to make them ready for the job in this field.
- Be capable to understand the positive aspects of Renewable Energy Technology in relation to the environment.
- Handle the installation and commissioning of Solar projects in rural and urban areas.
- Be capable to create direct and indirect employment opportunity in rural and backward areas.
Career and Employability
The country would need skilled personnel in large numbers to meet the requirement related to installation and maintenance of the power generation equipment and plants related to renewable energy technologies.
- The growth of solar energy is taking place at the rate of 15 times faster than the rest of economy. In fact, solar energy jobs have grown at the rate of 20% annually in recent years.
- Today renewable energy sector is the hottest and buzzing career.
As per business standard, India ranks 5th in the world for job creation in the field of renewable energy in 2016. India’s renewable energy goals have the potential to create 3,00,000 (Three Lakhs) new jobs by 2020.
Companies like Bhadla Solar Park (2255 MW), Solar Power Plant of REIL Jaipur, PMKVY Skill Development Solar Power, Rays Power Infra, Rays Future Energy, Solarmaxx Solar Energy Solutions, Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Prasaran Nigam Limited, Rajasthan Renewable Energy Cooperation Ltd. (RRECL), Ocean Solar Power, Ajit Solar Power Ltd., CVK Solar Enterprises, Vikram Solar Ltd., Solar PV Energy Plants under JNNSM and Solar Thermal Plants under JNNSM such as Lanco Solar 100 MW, Reliance Power 100 MW, KSK Energy 100 MW, Godavari Power 50 MW are some of the major employers in the RET sector.
- 10+2 / ITI/ Diploma or equivalent
- Polytechnic Diploma Holder will be considered for lateral entry into II year of B.Voc.
Admission will be through an Entrance Examination and based on the merit of the qualifying examination.
Infrastructure and Equipment
Renewable Energy technology Skills Lab
- Solar Simulation System
A Solar Simulation System is a device that provides illumination resembling the sun light. Solar simulator plots the current-voltage relationship (I-V curve) for the solar cell. The information obtained from I-V curve is useful in evaluating the performance of a solar cell in terms of its efficiency, maximum current and voltage or peak power.
- Solar PV Tracking System
Solar PV Tracking system is used to measure the I-V characteristics of solar panel, when changes in tilt and seasonal angles occurs. This system mainly consists of an automatic dual axis tracking arrangement, automatic data logging arrangement and tilt sensor
- Charge Controlling Training system
Charge controller system is used for studying the various charge controlling techniques (Maximum Power Point Tracking & Pulse Width Modulation) in order to protect the batteries from over charge and deep discharge.
- DC-DC & DC-AC Converter system
DC-DC converters are electronic devices used whenever we want to change DC electrical power efficiently from one voltage level to another. They are needed as, DC supplies can’t simply be stepped up or down using a transformer as is the case with the AC supplies. In many ways, a DC-DC converter is the DC equivalent of a transformer.
- PV Module Training System
PV Module technologies training system is the very basic and valuable tool to understand different PV module technologies and their performance so that user can identify various PV Modules and differentiate the modules as per applications.
- PV Module Technologies Training System
PV Module Training System is uses for Indoor PV system study, where we can measure the Current–Voltage characteristics of C-Si PV module at different light intensities.
- Carrier Lifetime Measurement System
Carrier Lifetime Measurement System is used for measuring the minority carrier lifetime of a solar cell. This is a unique system which consists of an inbuilt square wave generator, a solar cell, LED (flash/light source), and an optional connectivity to PC (via USB).
Spectral Response Training System
Spectral response training system kit is used for measuring the spectral response and quantum efficiency of a given sample of solar cell. With this training system, experiment for measuring the Spectral response and External Quantum Efficiency of a solar cell under a uniform condition can be conducted.
- PV Integration System
PV integration System is used for understanding the concept of Solar PV system installation. The structure part is designed in such a way that it can be easily assembled and disassembled. Here we can analyse the module performance in different series parallel combinations with a Rheostat.
- Solar PV Efficiency Measurement System
Solar PV efficiency system is used to calculate the solar power required for the existing loads, which gives the understanding on requirement of source as per the available area. This system consists of solar PV modules, battery, inverter, charge controller and load
- Solar PV grid Tied Training System
A Solar Grid-tied System is a grid connected PV system which links solar power generated by the PV modules to the mains. It acts as an interactive medium where the demand for electricity is fulfilled by the conglomeration of PV and mains. This product gives a deep insight into the dynamics of a Grid Tied system and its operation and maintenance.
- Solar PV Emulator
The Solar PV Emulator gives you the benefit of Simulating the IV Curve under varying environmental conditions without the requirement of an actual PV Panel or an external setup for data monitoring and data acquisition.
- Solar PV training & Research System
The Solar PV Training & Research System is a mini-Solar PV Plant Prototype which enables students and faculty to understand in-depth concepts about stand-alone PV systems. The product also provides research orientation on several concepts such as MPPT, inverter control etc. The system consists of individual plug-in units each with components for different experimental arrangements. The available system allows indoor and outdoor experiments. Additional options are the change in slope angles of the module to understand the effect of tilt.As can be seen from the description of the various test kits and experimental set ups, the Solar Power Lab in BSDU is a one stop solution to clearly understand the solar technology discipline as such. Post conduct of the various experiments, the students will be able to use their knowledge and understanding to design and implement the solar power solutions for any kind of environment from domestic, industrial to designing of solar parks for meeting large power requirements.
|Year||First Semester||Second Semester (Industrial Internship)|
|Fundamentals of Electrical and Electronics Engineering||5||Industrial Training||21|
|Renewable Energy Sources, Technologies and Environmental Issues||5|
|Solar Photovoltaic Technologies||5|
|Basics of Power Electronics and Instrumentations||5|
|Open Elective – I||3|
|Office Software Tools||2||Value Education #||3|
|English Language & Comprehension||3||Industrial Labour & General Laws #||3|
|Applied Maths/ Elementary Maths||2||Environmental Studies #||3|
|Cumulative Credits = 30 (Certificate)||Cumulative Credits = 60 (Diploma)|
|Year||Third Semester||Fourth Semester (Industrial Internship)|
|Solar Photovoltaic Power Plants||4||Industrial Training||21|
|Emerging Solar PV Technologies||4|
|Solar Thermal Technology and Applications||5|
|Solar Energy Storage and Management||4|
|Open Elective – II||3|
|Computer Aided Drawing/ Elementary drawing Skills||3|
|Spoken English||3||Business Communication #||3|
|Entrepreneurship Development (Introductory Module)||2||Current Affairs #||3|
|Personality Development||2||Organizational Behaviour #||3|
|Cumulative Credits = 120 (Advanced Diploma)|
|Year||Fifth Semester||Sixth Semester (Industrial Internship)|
|Smart and Micro Grid||3||Industrial Training||21|
|Grid Integration and Distributed Generation of RE||4|
|Operation and Maintenance and Safety of RE Plants||3|
|Economics of Renewable Energy Systems||4|
|Open Elective – III||3|
|Problem Solving Using Computers||3|
|Advanced Communication Skills||3|
|Quantitative Aptitude||2||Behavioural Skills #||3|
|Financial Accounting||2||Indian Constitution #||3|
|Entrepreneurship Development (Advanced Module)||3||Technical Writing #||3|
|Cumulative Credits = 180 (B.Voc.)|